Sunday, June 15, 2008

Back to the beginning





















I recently was presented with the challenge of creating a belt buckle for a client. I thought to myself, "I've never made a belt buckle..." But in fact, I had!

My very first "finished " piece of undergrad art jewelry was a metal belt with belt buckle! It was a tribute to the Berlin wall coming down. Boy, that dates me a little. I have no idea where that may have ended up. I am not sure I even have a picture of it. Very sad...I didn't realize at the time that the belt would start a life long career & love for all things metal.

As for the current project on hand, it came out pretty cool.

The client had purchased the Biggs Jasper cab at a gemstone event at my store & wanted a family piece for her husband. She let me "go at it with doing my thing" with two parameters:

1. The family symbol & the kids name had to be included.

2. Something copper as an accent.

A couple of roadblocks came up with drill bits breaking & logistics of setting a stone on a curved surface. Both were solved & the end result pleased the client & myself.

It took two acetylene torches from both sides & lots of patience in hammering to get to the finished result.

All in all, I really enjoyed making the piece. I may even make another belt buckle without a 17 year gap in between!

No comments:

Post a Comment